Another report in the news a little while ago on what we should be doing as parents. Or more to the point, what we shouldn’t be doing!
Of course we shouldn’t be shouting; we wouldn’t shout at big people so it’s funny how some think it’s okay to shout at kids. However, we are human – we do lose it sometimes and shout. But the real rule is; we shouldn’t be doing anything abusive in whatever form, physical, mental, emotional etc – to anyone, kids or not!
But what should we be doing? What makes a good parent?
The simple answer is; the same things that make a good human being: –
– Respect – giving and receiving
– Being the person you want your kids to be
– Living the values you want them to live by
– Knowing what those values are
– Being responsible for self, others and the wider world
– Being consistent, honest and strong enough to maintain that through the tough bits
– Loyalty and truth
– Empathy, care and consideration
– Being flexible, open minded and open hearted too
– Examining yourself and what you are demonstrating to your children, reassessing and changing as you all grow
– Patience, positivity and perseverance
– More love…..
Goodness, the list could go on and on but I wasn’t intending to write a burden here. I think most parents are these things anyway. But parenting is hard. It needs constantly reappraising and adjustment.
Yet it is one of the most delightful ways in which you can make an important contribution to the world. By creating another good, kind and loving human being, just like you.
That’s what parents do.
Please – share what you think is a necessary part of the ‘good parent’ package…