What are the three best things about home educating would you say?
I was thinking about how I would answer that question the other day.
Having home educated our children and watched them blossom out into the wider world now, I think my answers now would be very different from when I first started out.
Back then, the answers would have been short and sweet: –
– JOY at watching them develop.
– FREEDOM to do so much.
– NO MORE petty school policies and politics causing family rifts.
Now, with those years of having experienced it and watched their education develop before our eyes, I’ve learnt a lot and may have more considered answers – even if they are a bit of a mouthful: –
– the chance it gives to use any approach to learning that pays attention to the complete child; health and well-being included.
– the delight at the world being our learning ground (home education being a misleading term), rather than just one narrow institution.
– the wonderful opportunity for our children to be themselves, get to know themselves, extend their intelligence and knowledge, confidence and capabilities for use in the real world, beyond the oppressive culture of a school.
So, what would your three best things be?
Do leave a comment. It would be wonderful to make a whole collection here, both from new and the seasoned home educators. Then others thinking about the option will have such a variety of delights to read and they may be tempted to go beyond just thinking!